Corrientes is a mentoring program for preparing Latinos for success on the mission field. The Latin American church is participating in the great commission (Matthew 28:19) and Corrientes is helping these missionaries fulfill the call to “go and make disciples of all nations”. The name Corrientes, or “Currents”, reflects the flowing of the Holy Spirit and the movement of God’s people in response to the Spirit’s calling. Since its launch in 2009, Corrientes has worked with more than 20 Latino missionaries who are now serving the Lord in Asia, Africa, South America, Europe and the Middle East.
The aim of Corrientes is to help our participants to be more effective on the mission field and have successful missionary careers by preparing them for the challenges of cross cultural work. Corrientes is:
- A non-formal education program that is experiential and intentional
- Empowering Christians to use their professions on the mission field
- Individualized learning and mentoring of future missionaries by current missionaries
- Enriching in terms of missionary perspective and mutual growth for both the participants and the mentors
- An introduction to lifelong, self-driven learning in preparation for being lifelong learners on the mission field
- Mentoring in a variety of individualized skill sets depending on the goals of the individual
Corrientes is a skill building program with an emphasis in bi-vocational and transcultural missions. Participants are mentored in five different areas that are foundational for success on the mission field. Mentoring is done one on one and in small groups to give individualized attention to each participant.
The five areas include:
- Spiritual formation: spiritual discipline for walking intimately with God on the mission field
- Bi-vocational: how to use your profession in missions
- Biblical studies: knowing the word of God
- Cross cultural relationships: how to live and minister in other cultures
- Language Acquisition: strategies for learning other languages
With partnership as a core value of HCJB Global, we unite with COMIBAM, Latin America Mission, IMB, SIM, Paraclete Mission Group, the International Christian Mentoring Network as well as Ecuadorian churches and agencies.
Testimonies from our Participants:
“This is not just information, but I can see that the mentors are really interested in us as persons. They are seeking our general spiritual, emotional, professional, and missiological growth.”
“I have a lot of experience as a health professional, but little knowledge about working within rural communities in my own country. This practical and intercultural experience complemented what I have been learning and dialoguing about with my mentors at the Corrientes program. I have learned that when I go to the community my main task, in order to be well received and effective, is to be a learner, not a teacher, and to understand the world vision of the people I want to serve. Then, later, I can share the gospel.”
“I learned about the responsibility that we have as Christians to speak about God in a way that is appropriate for where we are, who we are with, and the situation we are in.”
Website: www.corrientesmisioneras.org (in Spanish)
Help support the ministry of Corrientes: